Rectangular-Shaped Basket with Handle
- Ira Blount
- wood splint, reed, dye
- 6 7/8 × 11 × 10 3/16 in. (17.5 × 28 × 25.8 cm)
- Cite As
- Gift of Ira Blount
- By varying wood splints of different thicknesses, artist Ira Blount creates a rectangular-shaped, flat bottomed basket. The splints differ in color, with some exhibiting a pink hue, while others are a warm light-brown. The handle and rim are accented with a matching cross design, and the rim comprises a single reed.
- After moving to Washington, DC following World War II, Ira Blount mastered dozens of artisanal crafts. His love for crafting, learning, and community engagement would endure over the course of his long life and career. Created in 1983, this is an early example of Blount’s work in basketry, a medium in which he began to work in 1980.
- Accession Number
- See more items in
- Anacostia Community Museum Collection
- Data Source
- Anacostia Community Museum
- Restrictions & Rights
- Metadata Usage
- Record ID
This media is in the public domain (free of copyright restrictions). You can copy, modify, and distribute this work without contacting the Smithsonian. For more information, visit the Smithsonian's Open Access page.