Wood Carving of Whales and Fish
- Ira Blount
- wood, leather
- 6 3/4 × 28 × 3/4 in. (17.1 × 71.1 × 1.9 cm)
- Cite As
- Gift of Ira Blount
- Four whales surrounded by a school of fish swim along the seaweed-covered ocean floor in this wood carving. By creating different textures and finishes, artist Ira Blount (1918-2020) evokes the whales’ slick skin and the murky sand beneath the seaweed. Blount expressed hope that audiences would feel uplifted after observing his works. The details in this carving transport the viewer to an underwater world where they can experience the tranquility and grandeur of the ocean.
- After moving to Washington, DC following World War II, Blount mastered dozens of artisanal crafts. His love for crafting, learning, and community engagement would endure over the course of his long life and career.
- Accession Number
- See more items in
- Anacostia Community Museum Collection
- Data Source
- Anacostia Community Museum
- Restrictions & Rights
- Metadata Usage
- Record ID
This media is in the public domain (free of copyright restrictions). You can copy, modify, and distribute this work without contacting the Smithsonian. For more information, visit the Smithsonian's Open Access page.