Montgomery County, Maryland

 

Boyd's Negro School House

19510 White Ground Road, Boyds, MD 20841,
301/ 972-0484. By appointment only.

A restored one-room school house (1895-1936), closed in 1936. During the 41 years of classes, oil lamps were used instead of electricity, students had to bring water from a nearby spring, they chopped wood for the potbellied stove for heat, and the books they used were handed down from white schools. The Boyds-Clarksburg Historical Society has created an archives with photographs.


 

Slavery-era Cabin at
Sandy Spring

Slavery Cabin image

Photograph by Clara Turner Lee

 

Pleasant View Historic Site

11810 Darnestown Road, Gaithersburg, MD 20878,
301/ 926-1798. By appointment only.

In April of 1868, three years after the Civil War, three acres of property was purchased in trust for $54.00 to establish a Methodist Episcopal Church. The congregants of this developing Black community worshipped at the Quince Orchard Colored School House, until they could afford to build their church. By 1888, the church was constructed. Today, the Pleasant View Historical Association has a mission to collect, maintain and exhibit artifacts and memorabilia that document the local history and culture of this community - - more importantly to preserve and protect this three-acre monument for future generations.

 

Sandy Spring Slavery Museum and African Art Gallery, Inc.

18524 Brooke Road, Sandy Spring, MD 20860, 301/ 384-0727.
Sat. and Sun., 12 noon to 4 pm and by appointment.

The museum's campus boasts three displays: a cross-section of a slaving clipper ship depicting conditions in the Middle Passage; a slavery-era log cabin relocated from Olney, Maryland; and an arts pavilion displaying artifacts, sculpture, musical instruments, masks and more - reflecting the African Diaspora. The Great Hall, which will house artifacts and documents representing the civil rights movement, will open July 2002.

 

Warren Historic Site

Whites Ferry Road, Poolesville, MD 20837, 301/258-9021.
By appointment only.


Following the Civil War, free Blacks and former slaves purchased land and built the Warren Methodist Episcopal Church, Martinsburg Negro School, and Charity Lodge Hall. These buildings were the anchor and center for religious worship, educational development, and social interaction for this rural African American community. These three buildings of historic significance remain standing on their original site. The goals and visions of the Warren Historic Site Committee are to preserve archival and historical materials and to collect and display photographs and artifacts that trace the origins of this community.

 




 

African American heritage sites in Montgomery County 1-800-925-0880 http://www.cvbmontco.com
Smithsonian Anacostia Museum and Center for African American History and Culture